Business

Koskisen is a Finnish, family owned wood processing company with more than hundred years of operating history. The main raw material used by Koskisen in its production is wood, which is processed by Koskisen into, for example, sawn goods, plywood and chipboard. Koskisen’s business relies on forests and, consequently, taking care of the nature and the environment are at the core of Koskisen’s operations and strategy.

For the year ended December 31, 2021, Koskisen had sales from approximately 70 countries and 38 percent of Koskisen revenue is generated from Finland, 33 percent from the rest of the EU and 29 percent from other countries, mainly the United Kingdom and the Asian market. Koskisen has two business segments: Sawn Timber Industry (approximately 60% of Koskisen revenue) and Panel Industry (approximately 40% of Koskisen revenue).

Sawn timber industry

The Sawn Timber Industry sells significant amounts of sawn and further processed timber to markets outside of Finland, particularly to Japan. For the year ended December 31, 2021, approximately 44 percent of the Sawn Timber business segment’s revenue was generated from Finland, approximately 23 percent from Japan, approximately 3 percent from Germany and approximately 30 percent from other countries.

For the nine months ended September 30, 2022, approximately 60 percent of the Sawn Timber business segment’s revenue was generated from end users in the construction (professional and DIY) segment, approximately 19 percent from the packaging and other segments, approximately 15 percent from the joinery segment and approximately 6 percent from the furniture segment. Koskisen produces both standard sawn timber and dimensioned and strength graded sawn timber from spruce and pine. Koskisen further processes approximately 40 percent of the sawn timber that it produces, mainly by planing and, to a smaller extent, painting. Koskisen supplies raw material to several bioenergy power plants – including the power plants, which are located on Koskisen’s production site in Järvelä, Finland, and operated by Loimua.

Panel industry

Vanerin osuus Levyteollisuus liiketoimintasegmentin liikevaihdosta vuoden 2022 ensimmäisten yhdeksän kuukauden aikana oli 62 prosenttia, lastulevyn ja viilun osuus 27 prosenttia. Lisäksi liiketoimintasegmentti valmistaa ohutvaneria, viilua sekä kevyiden ja raskaiden hyötyajoneuvojen sisustusratkaisuja Kore-brändin alla. Vuonna 2021, Levyteollisuus -liiketoimintasegmentin liikevaihdosta muodostui 25 prosenttia Suomessa, 13 prosenttia Saksassa, 9 prosenttia Puolassa ja 53 prosenttia muissa maissa. Suurimmat asiakasryhmät olivat rakennus- ja huonekaluteollisuus. Koivuvanerilevyjä ja lattiatuotteita valmistetaan rakentamiseen, kevyisiin ja raskaisiin hyötyajoneuvoihin (kuten ajoneuvojen ja perävaunujen lattioihin), pakkauksiin, sisustukseen, kalusteisiin ja puusepänteollisuuteen. Koskisen valmistaa laajan valikoiman lastulevytuotteita sahanpurusta ja puuhakkeesta, jotka syntyvät sivutuotteina Koskisen sahoilla ja koivuvanerin tuotannossa. Koskisen lastulevytuotteiden suurimpia loppukäyttäjäsegmenttejä ovat huonekalu- ja rakennusteollisuus. Vuonna 2021 noin 75 prosenttia Koskisen lastulevytuotannosta myytiin Suomessa, ja Koskisen tuotanto kattoi noin puolet lastulevyn kokonaiskysynnästä Suomessa.

Wood procurement

Wood procurement is part of the Sawmill business segment: Koskisen Wood procurement purchase wood mainly from private forest owners in Finland and offers versatile forest management services to the forest owners from whom Koskinen procures wood. Koskinen uses approximately 60 percent of the wood it acquires in its own operations, and the remaining approximately 40 percent is sold to third parties, such as pulp and wood manufacturers.

Production

Koskisen’s owned production facilities are located in Järvelä and Hirvensalmi, Finland, and Toporów, Poland. Koskisen is currently building a new wood processing unit in Järvelä, where production is expected to start in stages during 2023 and 2024. The new unit in Järvelä is expected to increase the Sawmill business segment’s current annual lumber production capacity of 300,000 cubic meters to 400,000 cubic meters. With the investment, the new production facility will become a fully integrated wood processing unit. Koskinen estimates that he will invest a total of approximately EUR 50 million in the new unit in Järvelä between 2021 and 2024.